Amoxicillin is a moderate-spectrum antibiotic for cats and dogs belonging to the class of penicillin. This medication inhibits the growth of bacteria by preventing the cell wall formation of the bacterial cells. Amoxicillin should be used only to treat bacterial infections and not for viral and parasitic infections. Amoxicillin can be given with or without food. The usual dose of amoxicillin in dogs and cats is 5-10 mg/lb every 12-24 hours. If there is a missed dose give the missed dose as soon as you remember unless it is almost time for the next regularly scheduled dose.
Benefits and Uses:
- Broad-spectrum antibiotic that treats a wide array of bacterial infections
- Treats ear infections, urinary tract infections, and skin infections (infected bite wounds)
- Also effective against upper respiratory, bladder, and dental infections
Potential Side Effects:
Contact your veterinarian immediately if the pet experiences severe or bloody diarrhea during treatment. Stop giving amoxicillin and seek emergency veterinary medical care in the event of an allergic reaction (shortness of breath; hives; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; rash; or fainting), seizures, unusual bleeding, or bruising. Other less serious side effects such as mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain, or yeast or fungal infection may be more likely to occur. Continue to give amoxicillin and notify your veterinarian if these symptoms occur.
Tell your veterinarian if your pet is being given another antibiotic. Also tell your veterinarian if your pet has allergies, or kidney, stomach or intestinal disease. While symptoms may subside early, use all of the prescribed medicine.